Sunday, 12 February 2017

Malleny House & Gardens - Lothian

If you want to escape the hustle and bustle of Edinburgh, just 5 or 6 miles away is the peaceful house and gardens of Malleny, separated from the town of Balerno by the stream known as the Water of Leith.


It is believed that a house was on the site in 1330 but the first recorded owners were Alexander and Christian Knychtsoure who took over in 1478 and whose family lived there until 1617. The house was rebuilt in 1637 and then the Scott family took over in 1656 and added what is called the Georgian Wing in 1810.


Eventually the housed and gardens passed to the Gore-Browne Henderson family in 1961 and they gifted it to the National Trust Scotland in 1968. Since then the house has been maintained as a tourist attraction and wedding venue and the gardens have been restored to their full glory. Although not extensive, the walled gardens are well maintained and are framed by woodland, which adds to the feeling of peace and calm.


 



EH14 7AF

No comments:

Post a Comment