Sunday, 5 March 2017

Eggleston Hall - County Durham

Not much is known about the first manor that sat in the grounds of the park around the hamlet of Eggleston - not far from Barnard Castle. The manor and its grounds were forfeited in 1569, for being on the wrong side in a dispute with the monarchy. Ownership passed to the Crown and the manor fell into decay.


In 1815 it was sold to the Hutchinson family and they built a new manor on the site of the old one. A grey brick house in the Greek revival style was created and completed in 1817. In 1919 the house passed into the hands of Sir William Cresswell Gray, and it is still owned by the family, although it was not always used as a home.


Somewhere along the line the love of the house diminished and from 1972 until 1991 it was used as a finishing school. Then Sir William Hume Gray restored it to family use and, as 3rd Baronet, lives there today. The gardens were recreated and are now a popular visitor attraction.


Visits to the house itself are limited, although association with the Historic Houses Association means that there is occasional access and limited tours. Check with the website if you want to see the house. The gardens and the grounds dropping down to the River Tee are generally open.


 
 



DL12 0AG

Eggleston Holy Trinity Church