Sunday, 11 March 2018

Cardington Sheds - Bedfordshire

Also known as Cardington Hangars, No 1 Shed began life in 1915. The land was bought by the Shorts Brothers, and they established Shortstown to house their workers. The object at that time was to build two airships, The R-31 and R-32.


With successful trials behind them, the Royal Air Force looked at the project, which then became the Royal Airship Works. The Number 1 Shed had to be raised to 170 feet and lengthened to 812 feet in order to accommodate the R101.


This was successful and highly impressive for a while, and that brought in Shed No 2, which was relocated to Cardington in 1928. Everything seemed set for great expansion, but then came the disastrous demise of R101, and that put an end to airship building in Britain.


That was not the end of Cardington. In 1936 and 1937 the hangars became the production base for Barrage Balloons. Then from 1943 to 1967 it was used to house and produce Meteorological Balloons, and it is still used today for Meteorological Research.


Cardington Sheds

MK42 0QL

The R101