Shaw House was built sometime after 1575 and was completed in 1581. It was built for, and owned by, Thomas Dolman. He had made a fortune through the cloth trade. During the Civil War, Newbury was the scene of two battles. Shaw House was used by the Royalists during the second battle.
In 1720 the house passed to James Brydges, 1st Duke of Chandos. He was known for his eccentricity. This must have been a family trait because the Second Duke bought a wife at a sale in Newbury. (Hints of the Mayor of Casterbridge). Anne Wells was a chambermaid in Newbury, so probably enjoyed the elevation to Duchess, all with no sale & return.
Anne outlived her husband and remained at Shaw House until her own death in 1750. The house was next sold to the Andrews Family, was later used as a school, but now belongs to the West Berkshire Council. It is open to the public and is also available as a conference centre.
Shaw Manor House