Sir Thomas Holme commissioned the building of the impressive Aston Hall in 1618. John Thorpe was the chosen architect and it took 17 years for the house and grounds to be completed, though Holme moved in in 1631.
There were moments to regret, especially when the Parliamentary Troops attacked in 1643. Some of the damage caused by cannon balls is still evident today.
In 1817 the Holme family sold the hall and parkland to James Watt Jr, son of the famous James Watt. In 1858 he could no longer manage to hold on and the hall was sold to a private company in 1858. They also struggled and in 1864 it was bought by the Birmingham Corporation.
Part of the parkland was hived off and is now the site for Aston Villa Football Club. Later a lower stretch of the parkland was taken to allow the construction of the A38 link road between the M6 motorway and the Birmingham City centre.
The hall in now a museum. For a while it housed most of the exhibits now in the new Birmingham Museum but now there are different themes on view. The hall is open to the public during the summer months. The gardens are ornate and well maintained.
Aston Hall Gardens